Daily News

Daily News-Staffing Industry Analysts RSS Feed Get the RSS Feed

Chile – Strong increase in temporary workers

6 March 2014

Data released by the Chilean National Statistics Institute (INE) revealed that the number of temporary workers increased by +16.7% during 2013. The number of all non-direct hires (temporary workers, contractors, sub-contractors etc.) also increased by +4.3% compared with last year, mainly in the...


Brazil – Skills shortages impacting labour market

6 March 2014

The Brazilian labour market is suffering from a shortage of skilled manpower, which is impacting companies of all sizes, reports surgiu.com.br. In northern Brazil, 17.4% of companies report difficulties in sourcing sufficiently skilled staff, which is nothing compared with the 84.4% of companies...


Asia – Job advert numbers up across the region

6 March 2014

International recruitment firm Robert Walters (RWA: LSE) released its Asia Job Index for Q4 2013 today revealing that the levels of professional jobs advertised during the quarter increased by +26.4% compared with Q4 2012. Every Asian country included in the index reported year-on-year increases...


Ghana – New system developed to control labour unrest

6 March 2014

The Ghanaian Ministry of Employment and Labour Relations is developing a Labour Market Information System that will enable employers and job seekers to exchange dialogue in an attempt to reduce labour agitations and unrest, reports businessghana.com.The system would not only inform the government...


Singapore – Rapid policy changes exacerbating high costs and labour shortages

5 March 2014

Recent moves to raise productivity, restrict foreign labour supply, and increase wages are happening together and too fast, and hurting firms already grappling with high costs and labour shortage, according to Member of Parliament (MP) Inderjit Singh, during the budget debate yesterday, reports t...


Indonesia – Low labour costs and political stability boosting foreign investment

5 March 2014

Indonesia plans to lure investments from companies from Japan and Europe, as political turmoil to Thailand and rising wages in Malaysia boost the attractiveness of the Southeast Asian country, reports the South China Morning Post.Mahendra Siregar, Chairman of the Indonesia Investment Co-ordinatin...


Malaysia – Human trafficking victims to be issued temporary employment passes

5 March 2014

Victims of human trafficking in Malaysia will be issued temporary employment work passes to further improve the level of protection accorded to them, reports nst.com.my. Home Ministry Secretary-General Datuk Seri Mohamad Khalid Shariff said that the labour trafficking victims for this pioneer pro...


India – Agile-1 appoints new country manager

5 March 2014

US-based global workforce management solutions company, Agile-1, announced yesterday the expansion of their global operations into Chennai, India. To support the new location, the company has appointed Frank Gordon as the Country Manager to lead their ongoing business development a...


Brazil – Carnival creates 250,000 temporary jobs

5 March 2014

Rio de Janeiro's Samba Schools Parade is billed as the greatest show on earth, but Carnival is also a multimillion dollar business that generates thousands of jobs and injects big money into the local economy, reports cntv.cn.The elite samba schools invest between USD 3.5 million and USD 7 millio...


South Africa – Kelly Group acquires 80% stake in Anglo African Outstaffing

4 March 2014

South African staffing firm Kelly Group (KEL: SJ) has acquired an 80% stake in Anglo African Outstaffing from the Troyleigh Family Trust for ZAR 10.4 million (USD 960,988), reports moneyweb.co.za. Kelly also has an option to acquire the remaining 20% at the end of September 2014.Anglo African was...