The Netherlands might be referred to as the “the little big man” of Europe. With its 16,7 million inhabitants on 40,000 km it is one of the smallest and most densely populated countries in Europe, nevertheless ranking the fifth economy in the Eurozone. The country is noted for its stable industrial relations, moderate unemployment and inflation, a sizable trade surplus, and an important role as a European transportation hub.
With commercial temporary agency work dating back into the 1940’s, and (after UK) the highest % of temporary workers in its workforce, it’s also one of the most flexible countries in Europe and the home of two of the largest staffing companies in the world: Randstad and USG People.
Dutch socio-economic decision taking is characterized by the tri-partite cooperation between Employer organisations, Labour Unions and Government, often referred to as the Polder model. Associations ABU and NBBU represent the interests of the staffing industry.
The Dutch legislation on temporary agency work is probably the closest to the European Temporary Agency Work Directive (AWD). The model of Flexibility and Security introduced in 1999 was arguably a great influence on the main lines of the AWD and an inspiration for the European term ‘flexicurity’.
19 February 2014
- A review of the latest significant temporary staffing trends and developments in Europe
- Exclusive insights from the whole research team
- On demand playback, approximately 1 hour
22 January 2014
- Adecco leads the European IT staffing market, followed by Hays and ManpowerGroup.
- The Top 30 firms accounted for just under half of the total European IT staffing market.
- The largest national markets are the UK, Germany and the Netherlands.
20 January 2014
- Discover how listed staffing firms performed in Q3 2013.
- Find out about activity levels and how turnover and net income have evolved.
- See how the largest staffing firms fared.
20 December 2013
This insight provides an estimate of the size of the contingent market broken down by:
- Temporaries/Temporary Agency Workers (TAW)
- Other Temporaries
- Independent Contactors
- Statement of Work (SOW) Consultants
5 December 2013
How will the Dutch staffing market fare in 2014?
4 December 2013
This citation looks at the level of literacy, numeracy and problem solving in technology‑rich environments proficiency for the world's key staffing markets.
14 November 2013
- Exclusive industry forecasts from the SIA research team
- Focus on the main markets in Europe and Asia-Pacific, as well as insights on South Africa and Brazil
- Webinar replay on demand (approx. 1 hour)
18 October 2013
- Read our latest legal update in association with the Ius Laboris network
- We have covered a variety of judicial developments, including labour reforms and court rulings
- Data has been gathered from across Europe
14 October 2013
Discover how listed staffing firms performed in Q2 2013.
Find out about activity levels and how turnover and net income have evolved.
See how the largest staffing firms fared.
10 October 2013
- We believe Randstad is the clear leader in this relatively fragmented market; followed by Independent Clinical Services and Adecco.
- The Top 20 firms outpaced the growth recorded by the European Healthcare market in 2012.
- The UK is still the largest domestic market, but significant price pressure... More