The Netherlands might be referred to as the “the little big man” of Europe. With its 16,7 million inhabitants on 40,000 km it is one of the smallest and most densely populated countries in Europe, nevertheless ranking the fifth economy in the Eurozone. The country is noted for its stable industrial relations, moderate unemployment and inflation, a sizable trade surplus, and an important role as a European transportation hub.
With commercial temporary agency work dating back into the 1940’s, and (after UK) the highest % of temporary workers in its workforce, it’s also one of the most flexible countries in Europe and the home of two of the largest staffing companies in the world: Randstad and USG People.
Dutch socio-economic decision taking is characterized by the tri-partite cooperation between Employer organisations, Labour Unions and Government, often referred to as the Polder model. Associations ABU and NBBU represent the interests of the staffing industry.
The Dutch legislation on temporary agency work is probably the closest to the European Temporary Agency Work Directive (AWD). The model of Flexibility and Security introduced in 1999 was arguably a great influence on the main lines of the AWD and an inspiration for the European term ‘flexicurity’.
13 September 2013
- Randstad is the clear leader in its domestic market, followed by USG People and Adecco. These three firms own just over 30% of market share.
- The Top 50 firms saw their share of the Dutch market increase gradually over the years, but the market share of the Top 3 firms declined slightly in 2012.... More
28 August 2013
Key Findings include:
The size of the global staffing market.
A breakdown of the 40 of the most important countries
Estimates of the size of temporary and permanent services.
24 July 2013
- Exclusive insights on VMS/MSP markets around the world.
- Overview of business practices and legal limitations.
- Webinar replay on demand (approx. 1 hour).
10 June 2013
- $100 billion in global VMS/MSP spend accounted for in this study
- Global VMS and MSP spend in our study rose 21% and 18% in 2012, respectively
- VMS providers reported 62 "mega-programs" (programs with annual spend over $300 million)
3 June 2013
A list of potential funding providers to staffing firms broken down by:
- Country HQ
- Investment Stage
- Geographies of Interest
30 April 2013
Missed the news last month? Here is a quick overview of what happened in the staffing industry and the labour markets in Europe. Browse news by country and keep up to date with the latest financial reports, market trends and employment data – just click on the links below.
13 March 2013
- A report from the European Trade Union Institute (ETUI) on the implementation of the AWD across Europe
- Overview of the pieces of national legislations affected by the Directive
- Download the full report
28 December 2012
- Adecco leads the market, followed by ManpowerGroup and Randstad.
- The largest national markets are the UK, Germany and the Netherlands.
- Other markets offer promising growth prospects: the Scandinavian countries, Poland and the Czech Republic.
20 November 2012
- Adecco leads this market in which most players are small and medium-sized companies focusing on their domestic market.
- Most market players are small and medium-sized companies focusing on their domestic market.
- The largest contingents of healthcare professionals are in France, Germany,... More
30 May 2012
- Watch the full webinar on demand
- Legal advice from an expert panel on MSP contracts in European countries
- Duration: approximately 1h