The Netherlands might be referred to as the “the little big man” of Europe. With its 16,7 million inhabitants on 40,000 km it is one of the smallest and most densely populated countries in Europe, nevertheless ranking the fifth economy in the Eurozone. The country is noted for its stable industrial relations, moderate unemployment and inflation, a sizable trade surplus, and an important role as a European transportation hub.
With commercial temporary agency work dating back into the 1940’s, and (after UK) the highest % of temporary workers in its workforce, it’s also one of the most flexible countries in Europe and the home of two of the largest staffing companies in the world: Randstad and USG People.
Dutch socio-economic decision taking is characterized by the tri-partite cooperation between Employer organisations, Labour Unions and Government, often referred to as the Polder model. Associations ABU and NBBU represent the interests of the staffing industry.
The Dutch legislation on temporary agency work is probably the closest to the European Temporary Agency Work Directive (AWD). The model of Flexibility and Security introduced in 1999 was arguably a great influence on the main lines of the AWD and an inspiration for the European term ‘flexicurity’.
1 December 2014
- Outlines the importance of market concentration
- Provides a Marimekko chart of the big four
- and a Herfindahl-Hirschman Index
28 November 2014
- Missed the news last month? Here is a quick overview of what happened in the staffing industry and the labour markets across Europe. Browse news by region and keep up to date with the latest financial reports, market trends and employment data.
12 November 2014
- Read our latest legal update in association with the Ius Laboris network
- We have covered a variety of judicial developments, including labour reforms and court rulings
- Data has been gathered from across Europe
31 October 2014
Missed the news last month? Here is a quick overview of what happened in the staffing industry and the labour markets across Europe. Browse news by region and keep up to date with the latest financial reports, market trends and employment data.
20 October 2014
- Market size estimates for the European market and the largest domestic markets
- Ranking of the Top 30 suppliers of healthcare professionals in 2013
- Demographic data on the Healthcare workforce across Europe
20 October 2014
- Discover how listed staffing firms performed in Q2 2014.
- Find out about activity levels and how turnover and net income have evolved.
- See how the largest staffing firms fared.
16 October 2014
- Our forecast for 2015
- (and the revised update for 2014)
- See which markets are doing best and worst
16 October 2014
- Lists the value of the global staffing market in 2013
- Understand which country and region is largest
- 25+ countries and 11 sectors measured in our analysis.
13 October 2014
This report provides an overview of some of the compliance issues a foreign staffing provider should know before supplying temporary labour in The Netherlands.
7 October 2014
- Top 50 firms ranking according to revenue generated in the Netherlands in 2013
- Highlights on the fastest growing firms
- Includes market size estimate for 2013 and forecast for 2014