Daily NewsView All News
Half of Norwegians have been employed as a temporary worker, and for many it has been a stepping stone into permanent employment, according to the Confederation of Norwegian Enterprises (NHO). In a recent Work Life survey by Manpower, half of all respondents said that temporary jobs provide valuable work experience.
Almost 40% of survey respondents had a steady job and 30% said that it gave them a better CV. Six out of ten reported that they believe temporary workers are an important resource in the workplace. Manpower has launched a competition for the second year in a row, to find Norway’s best temporary worker.
Thor Bendik Weider, director of Manpower Norway, said: “Last year, the competition received more than 400 nominations and it was great to see how many people value temporary workers. This year we are hoping that even more people will use this opportunity to commend the efforts of temporary employees.”
“There is no condition that the temporary worker must work for Manpower – anyone who works as a temporary employee is eligible. Norway’s best temporary worker makes a difference in the workplace; both academically and socially. We are looking for someone who has the right skills and attitude, and is reliable, positive and flexible,” he added.
The winner will be selected by a panel; which will include Mr Weider, the head of NHO Service Even Hagelien, and last year’s winner Annelise Brun. The winner will receive a trip for two to New York, with the person nominating them receiving an iPad.
According to an August 2013 survey, carried out by Perduco:
- 73% believe that temporary jobs provide useful job experience
- 71% believe that working as a temporary employee provides opportunities to try different types of work
- 64% believe that temporary workers are an important workplace resource
- 38% have been employed in a temporary capacity directly through an employer
- 14% have been employed as a temporary worker through a recruitment agency
The respondents reported that temporary jobs:
- Led to valuable experience – 49%
- Provided a job quickly – 38%
- Resulted in a better CV – 30%
- Provided access to a greater network – 20%
Facts about temporary employees in the Norwegian staffing industry, carried out by NHO:
- 78% are satisfied with their job
- 64% would recommend that others work in a temporary capacity
- One in three temporary workers are between the ages of 25 and 34
- 45% of temporary workers have university of college degrees
- 23% have worked in a temporary capacity for between 1 – 3 months
- 21% have worked in a temporary capacity for more than two years
- Approximately 50% were unemployed or students before they began working on a temporary basis
When asked why they worked as temporary employees:
- 44% believe that it is a gateway to permanent employment
- 34% believe that it is easier to get a temporary job than any other
- 25% responded that it gives them varies work experience and the opportunity to experience different jobs
- 19% responded that they would choose their working hours and workplace
- 14% work on a temporary basis to earn extra income
- 13% liked have the option to take breaks between assignments