Daily NewsView All News
The Dutch government has fought hard this year to clean up the country’s staffing industry but a horrific case of exploitation and sexual abuse involving a recruitment agency and trafficked workers has come to light this week.
Local media reports that seven suspects from the Dutch town of Deventer are to appear in court in Zwolle next Monday, suspected of having exploited and trafficked workers into the Netherlands.
A public prosecutor said on Thursday that the suspects have operated via a recruitment agency called Flextime, based in Deventer. The accused are said to have recruited foreign nationals, promising them work and accommodation.
But the workers were abused and forced to engage in sexual acts with the directors of the company, the public prosecutor said yesterday. They also lived under poor housing conditions and “neglected” homes.
The main suspects in this case are the two directors, who have been identified as the 33-year-old Mustafa B. and a 39-year-old Ceylan S. Employees working for the firm are also suspected of having been involved in the assaults.
The case came to the attention of the court after one employee reported the case. Since then several reports of rapes and assaults have come to light.
Six women and one man have been identified as victims so far, but the actual number could be much higher, according to the prosecutor.
The assaults took place between January 2009 and October 2010.