CWS 3.0: March 13, 2013

Print

‘Ghost Rider’ IC Sues Buyers Over Stunt Injuries

A stuntman working as an independent contractor for the film Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance filed a lawsuit last week against Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc. after being seriously injured in a stunt gone wrong in April 2012.

The lawsuit says the stunt called for plaintiff Michael Gaboff to be lit on fire and use a motorcycle to jump across a body of water for promotional video for the Nicholas Cage movie. However, the stunt effort resulted in Gaboff suffering internal and external injuries, it says.

In addition to Sony, the lawsuit filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court names two production companies — Break Media and Next Point Inc.

The suit claims the firms disregarded appropriate safety measures, accusing the defendants of negligently and carelessly conducting themselves in a manner as to cause the plaintiff to suffer injuries.

Further, the suit alleges breach of contract against Break Media and Next Point Inc. for failure to provide a safe environment. The agreement included a covenant of good faith and fair dealing that Break Media and Next Point Inc. would provide a safe environment for the setup of the stunt, it says.

Gaboff is suing for medical expenses and loss of earnings.

ABC News had reported in June that Break Media said in a statement that Gaboff was an independent third party responsible for the stunt.

Comments

Add New Comment

Post comment

NOTE: Links will not be clickable.
Security text:*