Daily NewsView All News
Nationwide job openings increased by 8.4 percent in March and year-over-year job openings increased 23.2 percent, according to Simply Hired’s April 2013 Employment Outlook released today.
“March marks the ninth time in 11 months we have seen increases in job openings across the country, showcasing a strong pattern of growth for the economy,” said James Beriker, president and CEO of Simply Hired. “Each of the top 50 metros experienced job-opening growth and nearly all industries also experienced growth. As we move into spring, this is a great sign for the economy.”
One-quarter of major metro areas experienced double-digit growth, with Salt Lake City, Indianapolis and Albuquerque posting the largest gains at 14.2 percent, 12.6 percent and 12.5 percent respectively.
By industry, manufacturing saw the largest gain at 15.2 percent, followed by government at 14.4 percent. Only legal reported a drop in March, decreasing 28.7 percent.
Here are the top hiring companies by market with number of job openings on Simply Hired:
- Atlanta: Northside Hospital, 1,157 jobs
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital, 1,439 jobs
- Charlotte, N.C.: Carolinas Healthcare System, 2,280 jobs
- Chicago: Accenture, 708 jobs
- Cleveland and Akron, Ohio: McDonald’s, 636 jobs
- Dallas: Baylor Health Care System, 3,200 jobs
- Denver: HealthONE, 1,235 jobs
- Detroit: General Motors, 892 jobs
- Houston: HCA Healthcare, 658 jobs
- Los Angeles: Starbucks, 997 jobs
- Miami: University of Miami, 1,029 jobs
- Minneapolis and St. Paul: UnitedHealth Group, 2,216 jobs
- New York: Citi, 1,208 jobs
- Orlando, Fla.: Adventist Health System, 691 jobs
- Philadelphia: Marten Transport, 1,504 jobs
- Phoenix: Banner Health, 1,639 jobs
- Pittsburgh, Penn.: PNC Bank, 473 jobs
- Portland, Ore.: Intel, 1,015 jobs
- Raleigh and Durham, N.C.: WakeMed, 766 jobs
- Sacramento, Calif.: Sutter Health, 561 jobs
- San Francisco Bay Area: Sutter Health, 1,356 jobs
- Seattle: University of Washington, 706 jobs
- St. Louis, Mo.: Saint Louis University Hospital, 918 jobs
- Tampa and St. Petersburg, Fla.: BayCare Health System, 1,652 jobs
- Washington: Lockheed Martin, 1,527 jobs
For the full report, which includes the employment outlook and the top five hiring firms by all 25 metro areas, click here.