Daily NewsView All News
Educators and training professionals give their job prospects low marks, according to Monster’s workforce talent survey. Just 31 percent noted confidence in finding future work within their profession, placing them tenth out of the 11 professions surveyed by Monster and ahead of only clerical/administrative professionals. Similarly, 78 percent of teachers and training professionals agreed that it is more challenging to find a job now than it was a year ago, and 80 percent reported that employers are not willing to provide higher compensation compared to a year ago.
Twenty-three percent of teachers and training workers surveyed by Monster were satisfied with their job, while 47 percent expressed dissatisfaction.
“We’re continuing to see the impact of economic challenges on education and training occupations. When compounded with the fact that the majority of these job seekers feel it is more challenging to find a job and the market is saturated with qualified people in their area of expertise it is understandable why these candidates are among the least confident in finding a new job,” said Jeffrey Quinn, vice president of Monster’s Global Insights. “The good news is that we’re seeing pockets of demand. Elementary and secondary schools as well as colleges and universities are hiring for open roles.”
The Monster online survey included nearly 6,000 Monster.com users and took place from Jan. 14 to Feb. 18, 2013.
Top 10 occupations (per WANTED Technologies):
- Preschool teachers, except special education
- Secondary school teachers, except special and career/technical education
- Teacher assistants
- Vocational education teachers, postsecondary
- Elementary school teachers, except special education
- Middle school teachers, except special and career/technical education
- Health specialties teachers, postsecondary
- Self-enrichment education teachers
- Special education teachers, kindergarten and elementary school
Top 10 markets (per WANTED Technologies):
- New York
- Los Angeles
- Washington, D.C.
- Austin, Texas
- Tucson, Ariz.