As Staffing Industry Analysts’ Vice President, Contingent Workforce Strategies and Research, Peña is internationally recognized as the expert on contingent workforce management strategies and tactics. His primary function is to manage the unique needs of the CWS Council globally, helping these companies deploy cutting-edge strategies for managing their contingent labor and, as required, provide buy-side viewpoints to staffing firms. He is also responsible for drafting and executing the CWS Council research agenda with the ultimate goal of advancing thought leadership around the growing field of contingent work. An accomplished speaker and presenter, Peña’s specific expertise comes from over a decade of strategic sourcing experience in Fortune 500 companies and includes services pricing and negotiation strategies, contract construction, risk management, and international MSP and VMS program delivery models.
Peña is also known for his bimonthly column, which runs in Staffing Industry Analysts’ publications.
Peña graduated with a B.A. in economics from University of California at San Diego.
July 24, 2013
Over the course of a career in contingent workforce management, you may spend a lot of time discussing process and process improvement techniques. Here are some of the most common techniques to guide you in your selection:
July 18, 2013
- 16 providers participate in our first ever Payrolling/ICEC Landscape Report
- Participants report $3.6B in 2012 gross payrolling spend and $923M in agent-of-record spend
- All but 2 participants provide both payrolling and IC evaluation/compliance service
June 10, 2013
- $100 billion in global VMS/MSP spend accounted for in this study
- Global VMS and MSP spend in our study rose 21% and 18% in 2012, respectively
- VMS providers reported 62 "mega-programs" (programs with annual spend over $300 million)
May 22, 2013
Globalizing contingent workforce programs continues to be a hot topic among CW professionals, yet those who have expanded their programs, and those based in other countries, would advise caution before expanding.
April 24, 2013
The New Reality: How suppliers can be effective in this environment.
April 17, 2013
One of the highest priorities for today’s contingent workforce manager is the continued growth of their programs. But for those managers needing to expand their programs globally, the development of a governance structure is a big challenge.
April 3, 2013
A recent poll of CWS Council members indicated programs outside the U.S. aren't pushing to incorporate statement-of-work consultants.
March 13, 2013
- Global RPO market estimated at $4 billion
- US RPO market estimated between $1.5 and $2.0 billion
- Results of our survey of RPO providers in this report
March 8, 2013
- Our latest US Employment Expense Report and tool are both available for download
- Access average workers' compensation rates by occupation and state
- Average SUTA rates available by state
February 27, 2013
If procurement’s primary focus is on cost savings for the contingent workforce program, it's missing the mark.